Thursday 9 February 2012

Honey Cake with Maple Cheesecake Frosting

I love honey (strictly speaking, golden syrup) cake. I love cheesecake. I love maple syrup. Put them together, and BAAM! The best cake in the whole wide world ever.

This honey cake is really just a carrot cake recipe without the carrot, so I decided that I would add the normal cheescake frosting to see whether the slightly acidic flavour would cut the richness of the cake. But did I leave it there? No! I had to take it one step further. By adding maple syrup I think I may have defeated the whole 'acidic' purpose thing. I don't care though, because this cake is the reason why gloomy February days are now full of sunshine.

This cake is so rich, that it will feed 16 people. I use a roasting tin, instead of a cake tin because it's so big. That means that this recipe comes in at about 30 pence per serving. It will, of course, come in at about £5 per serving if you decide to eat the whole thing yourself (which I might).

Serves 16-20

INGREDIENTS:

For the honey cake

450g tin of golden syrup
1 golden syrup tin volume of water
3/4 golden syrup tin volume of sunflower oil
450g self raising flour
125g caster sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of mixed spice
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
200g tub of low fat cream cheese

For the frosting

3 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 tablespoon of cinnamon, for dusting

Preheat oven to 160c. Heat the syrup, water and oil in a bowl in the microwave until everything has amalgamated together (1 minute approx). Allow mixture to slightly cool, and then beat in the rest of the cake ingredients to form a smotth batter. Transfer to a greaseproof paper-lined roasting pan and cook in the oven for 1 hour. While the cake is cooking, beat the cream cheese with the maple syrup and refrigerate until needed. When the cake has cooled, spread the frosting in an even layer over the top surface. Dust with the cinnamon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, looking forward to getting your ideas, suggestions and recipes here at Potless Towers. Leave a comment and we'll get straight back to you.